NG Tube Placement
· What is an NG tube?
· What are the 2 major actions that an NG tube facilitates?
· In what clinical situations might an NG tube be ordered?
· In what clinical situations should you question an order to place an NG tube?
· What does the order NPO indicate?
· What is the standard, evidence-based practice for verifying NG tube placement?
· What assessment(s) should you make before placing an NG tube? (measure length, assess nasal patency)
· What three points are used to measure NG tube length to be inserted?
· What position should the client be placed in for NG tube insertion?
· How should the nurse instruct the patient to help as the NG tube is inserted? (sip water and swallow)