Discussion 2: Supervisor Development
Consider the following scenario:
You have just been promoted to supervise a team of employees. In your previous role, you were responsible for yourself and your individual results. Now you will be in charge of a team of five employees. As a brand new supervisor, you recognize the need to strengthen your skills.
- Review the section on Management Development in Chapter 9 of the Mathis text.
- Identify two skills you would like to strengthen, and explain why these areas would help you supervise your new team.
Post by Day 3 a response of approximately 150 words, which indicates the two skills you would like to develop. In your response, you will need to justify your selection of these skills. Explain why these skills are important in enabling you to supervise your team.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.
Respond by Day 6 to two or more of your colleagues’ postings in one or more of the following ways:
- Ask a probing question.
- Share an insight from having read your colleague’s posting.
- Offer and support an opinion.
- Make a suggestion.
- Expand on your colleague’s posting.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you learned and the insights you gained as a result of the comments your colleagues made.
Be sure to support your work with specific citations from the Learning Resources and any additional sources.
Week 4 Learning Resources
This page contains the Learning Resources for this week. Be sure to scroll down the page to see all of this week’s assigned Learning Resources. To access select media resources, please use the media player below.
- Mathis, R. L., Jackson, J. H., & Valentine, S. R. (2014). Human resource management(14th ed.). Stamford, CT: Cengage Learning [Vital Source e-reader].
- Chapter 8, “Training Human Resources” (pp. 258–291)
- Chapter 9, “Talent, Careers and Development” (pp. 292–331)
- Chapter 10, “Performance Management and Appraisal” (pp. 332–364)
- Nkomo, S. M., Fottler, M. D., & McAfee, R. B. (2011). Human resource management applications: Cases, exercises, incidents, and skill builders(7th ed.). Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning [Vital Source e-reader].
- Chapter 96, “Incident: Motivating and Maintaining Employee Morale During Downsizing” (p. 274)
- Document: Week 4 Discussion 1 Template (Word document)
- Document: Week 4 Discussion 2 Template (Word document)