This assessment requires you to describe the legislative process and the role of the nurse as a healthcare policy advocate. Your paper will consist of two parts:
- A clear and complete discussion of the legislative process
- You will choose one of the political issues listed in Burkhardt & Nathaniel on pages 392-393
- Tie that political issue to current legislation being debated in your own state’s house or senate
- Describe both sides of that issue – for and against – clearly and thoroughly
- Explain your own position, and explain why using research-based fact, not just your own opinion.
Make sure you also include a clear, separate introduction and conclusion as a part of this assignment, as these are worth separate points on the grading rubric.
NOTE: Please avoid the following topics, as these do not demonstrate research into current legislation in health care and are more â€œhot buttonâ€ issues that do not often result in a strong paper:
- Staffing ratios/mandatory overtime
- Physician assisted suicide
This assessment is aligned with the the course objective 4 and the following module objective:
- Students will be able to examine legislative and regulatory processes relevant to the provision of healthcare.
- Discuss the role of the nurse as a healthcare policy advocate.
Minimum of four (4) total references: two (2) references from required course materials and two (2) peer-reviewed references. All references must be no older than five years (unless making a specific point using a seminal piece of information)
Peer-reviewed references include references from professional data bases such as PubMed or CINHAL applicable to population and practice area, along with evidence based clinical practice guidelines. Examples of unacceptable references are Wikipedia, UpToDate, Epocrates, Medscape, WebMD, hospital organizations, insurance recommendations, & secondary clinical databases.
Unless otherwise specified, all the written assignment must follow APA 6th edition formatting, citations and references. Click here to download the Microsoft Word APA template. Make sure you cross-reference the APA 6th edition book as well before submitting the assignment. Refer to the ‘LEARNER SUPPORT’ tab for more information on APA 6th and 7th edition formats.
Number of Pages/Words
Unless otherwise specified all papers should have a minimum of 600 words (approximately 2.5 pages) excluding the title and reference pages.
To be successful, complete the following steps in order:
STEP 1. Review the instructional materials and finish learning activities in this module.
STEP 3. Create a new Word document, write your paper based on the above overview.
STEP 4. Refer to APA book and rubric for correctly formatting the paper.
STEP 5. Save the document with the filename: “Lastname_Firstname_M2_A4” (Example: Smith_Jill_M2_A4.docx)
STEP 6. Submit the document by clicking the link on the left titled “M2 A4 WA: SUBMISSION AREA – THE LEGISLATIVE PROCESS AND HEALTHCARE LOBBYING”