Federal Assistance During Pandemics Essay
- Explain the origin and development of constitutional democracy in the United States.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the federal system.
- Describe separation of powers and checks and balances in both theory and practice.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of the federal government.
- Evaluate the role of public opinion, interest groups, and political parties in the political system.
- Describe the rights and responsibilities of citizens
- Analyze issues and policies in U.S. politics
Assignment #2: Election 2020. 70% of students will successfully analyze the upcoming election in November, based on important issues of the day. Students will evaluate which issue they believe is most important for voters in 2020, and then research how the two major candidates have handled this issue in their campaign platform.
[Assignment #2 fulfills the following Program Level Outcomes: Communication, Critical Thinking, Social and Personal Responsibility, as well as the following Course Level Outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]
For this assignment, you are going to start researching the candidates running for U.S. President in November, 2020. We will start by you identifying a major issue (or two), that YOU believe is in major need of attention by the federal government. (For example, Black Lives Matter, environmental issues, taxation, student loans, federal assistance during a pandemic, the minimum wage, interest rates on student loans, the Military Industrial Complex, the federal budget, criminal justice reform, marijuana legalization, buying American-made goods, etc.) Once you have identified the issue or issues that are important to you, research how both candidates are planning to handle it. If there is a glaring gap in a candidate’s platform, please mention that as well.
This is more open-ended than most papers in this class. You have a minimum of 500 words to explore a topic you feel is important, as well as check out the 2 major candidates platforms. This should help prepare you for voting, or if you cannot vote based on age or residency, you will, at minimum, become more aware.
This assignment must follow MLA guidelines, be typed in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, and be a minimum of 500 words with a works cited page. The works cited are not included in the minimum word count. Any sources provided in the assignment prompt MUST be used within your paper and cited in your works cited. Other sources used must be cited as well.